The Guild met April 9, 2011 at the New Hope Church in Washington. Fifteen members and one guest were present.
Wool Fiber Arts Fair business discussed included:
- A report was given by the committee working on display units for the members hooked rugs.
- The Conservation Club’s sign will be used for advertisement purposes in advance of the fair. The sign will read, "Wood Fiber Arts Fair, May 21, 2011, 9AM to 4PM, Free Admission, a guild member’s phone number, Sponsored by Hoosier Hills Rug Hooking Guild. Vendors. Demonstrations."
- Rug display discussion centered on the need for members to give Nan T. the following information on the rugs they wish to display: rug hooked by, rug designed by, name of rug, and year completed. Nan needs the information in April or early May so she can prepare the labels for the display. You may email her the information, call her, or give her the information at the next meeting (or give it to someone who will be coming to the meeting).
- Members were encouraged to come to the Conservation Club Friday, May 20, between 7:00-8:00 a.m. (the day before the fair) to help set up the building. The vendors are able to start setting up at noon.
- They were also encourage to be available at 7:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 21, day of the Fair, to help assist wherever needed.
- In regard to the beginning rug hooking class, several members volunteered to bring their frames for the students to use that day, and two members have volunteered to teach the class. Two people have signed up for the class thus far. If anyone else would like to volunteer their time to this class it would be appreciated.
- Members were reminded to bring items to sell in the Guild marketplace booth. Pricing labels were available at the meeting. The proceeds are the member's.
- Members were once again encouraged to distribute the bookmark ads to appropriate businesses in their area to advertise the fair.
- In regard to advertising in general, one member volunteered to send an email to REMC to advertise our fair and another member will contact WITZ radio in Jasper/Huntingburg.
- Sheila brought the completed label for our raffle rug and it will be attached to the back of the rug while being bound.
- Shirley Casebolt, vendor coordinator, announced that Claudie Pearson of the Sunflower Broom Shop will be a vendor this year.
- Sign-up sheets for the following areas were passed around: welcome table, raffle ticket table, guild marketplace booth.
Three guild members attended the rug hooking class at New Harmony recently and shared what they hooked in the class and their thoughts on the experience.
The raffle rug for 2012 Wool Fiber Arts Fair has been designed. It is called “George’s Cabin.” The inner squares will be in shades of red. Members are encouraged to collect and donate red wool for the rug. Sheila will start hooking on the new rug after this year's Fair is over.
Upcoming events announced:
Minick & Simpson Quilting and Rug Hooking Seminar
May 6-8, 2011
Grand Hotel, Mackinac Island, MI
Sauder Village 15th Annual Rug Hooking Week
August 16–20, 2011
Flock: A Riverside Wool Retreat
Historic New Harmony, IN
November 4-6, 2011
Peggy Taylor & Marilyn Oehler
The next meeting of the Hoosier Hills Rug Hooking Guild will be at the Carnegie Library, 300 West Main Street, Washington, IN on May 14, 2011.