The business meeting was opened by the new President, Amy Best. She reminded members that 2015 dues are due. There was a question raised about any age limitations for membership to the Guild, and it was decided by vote that there be no age requirements.
The upcoming rug hooking retreat was discussed and Lou Moore reported on progress to date on that event. More news will be forthcoming as details are firmed up.
Janice Spaulding brought the raffle rug. She has been hooking on it since the December meeting. Several comments were made about how beautiful it is and the Guild's best one yet. It was decided that we will draw for the winner at the August meeting.
Since it is a new year, there were several suggestions about improving the Guild including:
- It was suggested that the Guild have an open house during a regular meeting to promote rug hooking and the organization. (Steve Sims also suggested having meetings at alternate locations.) Rugs could be displayed, including the raffle rug and retreat projects. It was decided to try this idea for the July meeting and a committee of Noma Brizius, Teresa Kinman, Marsha Mulroony and Chrystal Goodpaster was formed to work on this open house.
- Noma is working on obtaining a booth at the Evansville Farmers' Market, which runs from May through September on Saturdays from 9-2. She wants to use the booth to promote and sell all types of needlecrafts. She intends to make her booth available to guild members who want to sell and demonstrate their craft. Noma will also display the raffle rug and sell tickets for it at her booth.
- Amy will send invitations to former Guild members to rejoin the group.
- Mini-lessons will be taught at future Guild meetings. A schedule was set with Mary Jane Todd teaching punch needle for rugs using yarn in March, fine punchneedle using thread will be taught by Sug McClain in April, and Janice Spaulding will teach proddy in May.
- Members will be notified of meeting cancellations due to severe weather conditions by President Amy on Friday evening or as early as possible on Saturday morning.
Here's a picture of the 2015 Raffle Rug, in progress:
|2015 Raffle Rug - "Cottage Garden", a Red Barn Rugs design.|